A Small Win

I had been working on restoring my first window and had it all reglazed, repainted, and ready to go when the unfortunate happened. By several oversights on both mine and J’s behalf we left one of the sashes in a stupid place and it was knocked over. The top of a bottle of hydrogen peroxide that was sitting out ended up going straight through one of the panes. There was broken glass and my shattered ambitions all over the floor. I had really been looking forward to rehanging the sashes, getting the stops in place, and painting it all up so I could stand back and bask in that feeling of completion. Particularly completing something I had never done before and that was kind of scary when beginning. But, the pane now had to be replaced, which meant that it also had to be reglazed and repainted, which meant I would not be able to put it all together for at least another 2-3 weeks. Dammit. I was frustrated and feeling disheartened. I needed something to make myself feel better and to give me the gumption to pick up and keep going. I needed a win. Even if it was just a small one.

I decided to take a break from the window (I wasn’t ready to jump right back in) and to focus on a small project, something that needed to be done around here that I could finish in a relatively short amount of time. I knew just the thing. It wasn’t the most important thing to do necessarily, but It wouldn’t be too difficult and it would get me that win that I needed. I settled on repainting the front coat closet (exciting, I know). It had been in a relatively poor state since we bought the house; paint literally sagging off the walls. It was easy to ignore though as long as you never stuck your head in there too far. The paint color was also this really sad beige that did not have the energy that I wanted in one of the first spaces that guests see.

I had to enlist J, the master mudder, to help with this one. After scraping as much of the old paint off as I could, which was a lot, he put several coats of drywall mud up to smooth everything out as best as possible. I tried to not be too anal about it though. It is, after all, just a closet. Once we had it all scraped, mudded, sanded, and primed I had to decide on a color. I think, for a lot of people, the natural choice for a closet would just be white. While this is a practical choice, I wanted to do something different. The front door is only used by guests and that opens into the vestibule that the coat closet is off of. I imaged entertaining in the evening and having the lights dimmed so as to create a dark and romantic kind of feeling. While a small detail, the color of the closet can be used to reinforce this experience. I decided to go with a dark and soothing color that worked well with the dark blue that we have on the walls in the vestibule (the same dark blue that we are using on the windows outside). I selected the Behr Marquee color Rainforest. In addition to using it in the coat closet I also plan to use it for an ambitions painting project I have planned for the foyer.

IMG_20150919_172025940 - Edited IMG_20150919_172814519 - Edited

I am really happy with how it turned out. For the next couple days, any time I walked through the foyer I would have to take a peek in the closet to enjoy it. As a fateful surprise, while cleaning the tile floor in the vestibule I kept scrubbing this same spot where it looked like I had spilled a small amount of green paint. It turns out that the tile actually has veining in the glaze that is almost the exact same shade of green that I chose for the closet. Yay! It was meant to be! I got a win. I feel good. Now I am ready to go back to those windows.

Posted in On the House and tagged , , , , .

3 Comments

  1. Great job you two! I can’t wait to see all the changes you’re making. I’m so proud of all your hard work.

Leave a Reply